[Stoves] {briquetting} Anticipation of fuels; Another interpretation

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 10:02:34 CDT 2011

Dear Richard'n'All

Sorry for being slow off the response chair but this took some thinking.

>I think that only when the US gets to the point where local production of
solid fuel for local-only markets, is found viable and culturally favored
(as for example food is, in local farmers markets), will we see biomass
production for fuel as a viable concept here. I do not see them coming out
of COSTCO of Home Depot anytime soon.

Well, I think that is the point of entry for anyone in the fuel industry. We
don't buy coal or heating oil from Costco either because they are not in the
energy business.

Looking over the production scenario you describe, there is little doubt
that it is viable in some places/communities as a labour-based activity with
a tiny capital investment and the skill retained in the form of human hands,
not the form of hard metal as a material expression of a remote inventor's
artisanship. All quite correct with respect to the viability at what can be
described as the fringe of the market economy, though it is indeed part of
the local market economy.

Not very many years ago there was a similar wood fuel industry thriving in
North America, and in many small towns in the north, it is alive and doing
find. That is why there are log splitters to which you were able to refer in
your presentation. The log splitter is a technology that found a viable
market in North America because there is a local industry and activity into
which it feeds fuel.

If the local fuel market changes, the technology will change too, keeping
supplied with the tools they need to make a living in the local conditions,
whether that be a peri-urban Georgia cabin or a solar heated,
wood-supplemented house in Denver.

The costing of the hand-made low density briquette does not scale up in
North America for the simple reason that it is an energy densified economy.
We expect more energy per kg of product. That is why Roger Samson's
Switchgrass pellets are viable in Ontario. The biomass is available, the
technology needed to pelletize it to a density far higher than a hand-made
holey briquette, it flows and packs well, densely, you could say, so
transport is much better. Packaging is 'bulk'.

I asked one of my relatives (a farmer) why anyone would burn corn instead of
wood pellets and he replied that he could get corn delivered to his farm for
$110 per ton (at that time) and that wood was $150. Plus there is lot of
crummy corn that is not edible.  Simple matter of math. I asked how on earth
people could produce corn (which is after all just naturally pelletized
biomass) and he said' "Because farmers are extremely efficient." I had to
think about that. They really are. The current pushing of the corn price is
driven by a couple of things: ethanol, dumping exports outside the growth
country and a cooling climate reducing yield. All three continue and you can
expect the price to continue to rise in the immediate future.

So corn, in spite of being produced efficiently, will be more costly than
all forms of biomass even in the heartland of waving fields of grain.

Chopped wood, good for the tiny scale home producer and user is not really a
good market commodity. People want convenience so pellets are the future as
far as I see - with interesting size being 8-10mm diameter because they feed
well into automated machinery. As the present price is at or below $150 per
ton delivered, this is a pretty good price, and that has been achieved
without making it into a large industry where rail cars are full of pellets
instead of corn. It is economically profitable to ship pellets from South
Africa and British Columbia and Georgia to the EU. That means it is probably
viable outside to the producer's back door.

Here in Waterloo vast amounts of wood are buried in landfills because there
is no local industry turning it into charcoal. Charcoal powder produced in
large gas generating kilns would be a great fuel for home heating. Certainly
better than coal dust which is very abrasive. That industry has yet to
emerge and when it does, it will be succeed really well because there are
millions of wooden houses that will be recycled at some point in the next
100 years.

Your points about transport are well taken. In an economy where the wages
are higher, fuel is energy densified to be cheaper to move. In a cubic metre
of wood pellets there is about 16 GJ of heat. If it were charcoaled first,
it would rise to about 25 GJ. That's a pretty good deal. Rail transport is
incredibly cheap - witness the cost of moving wheat from the Canadian
prairies to Vancouver. A 100 car train of charcoal pellets would contain
something like 110,000 GigaJoules of energy - about equal to 2.75m litres of
gasoline, I think. Someone can check the math. It's a lot.

When the inventions needed to render biomass unto the masses in North
America are brought on line, it will succeed like any of the other energy
businesses have.

The challenge facing us is to identify which package is the best fit in any
community we are intending to benefit. As the presentation of fuels are in
some (or most) cases limited by the nature of the raw material, the fuel
will probably precede the technology that burns it. A good example of this
is brown coal which has been around for centuries. The fuel is not amenable
to low cost processing, and the stoves to burn it really cleanly simple
never emerged until very recently. It is amazing that this is the case. In
fact people have believed for just about the same length of time that coal
can't burn without smoke. When brown coal or low density briquettes are put
into an existing stove (presumably optimised to burn something else) what is
the performance? Pretty poor, that what.

My point here is that the fuels should be prepared to meet the local
economic and transport environment, fitting into the salary and land base
measures as needed. Then the products optimised to use those fuel product
should be created to burn them. Yes, there is a bit of back-and-forth to
match the fuel and the stove/heater/cooker but the principle remains: find
fuels first.

Interesting topic.

Best regards

Crispin