[Stoves] Refuelable TLUD Coal Stove developed in Mongolia that is not a batch process.

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 08:56:54 CST 2011

Dear Ron

In principle there is no reason a cross draft stove could not make charcoal. One advantage over a TLUD is they can in theory (and in our case, practise) be refuelled.

A TLUD is just a down draft built upside down. They can be refuelled continuously but if the desire is to get char out, that could be a problem.

As for cooking with charcoal/coke, well, they already do they just don’t buy it. There is no local market for irregularly produced coke. People spend money to get it to their homes and they will avoid spending more to bring in more. Coke is not valuable in small quantities plus it would be too variable.

I hope to be able to pass along the test from today soon. We have I think 4 stove so far that reduce PM emissions by 98% or more. Pretty interesting.

Saving CO has been more difficult, first because the baseline stove is not all that bad and second because these are very simple stoves with little to no control mechanisms – often just a primary air controller. A 50% reduction is easy but 90% is more difficult. There is in fact no CO problem in the community but still, it is fun to chase these numbers down. The GTZ 5 series stove operated as a TLUD instead of the normal method had a C/CO2 ratio of 1.6% average for the entire burn. I think that is not mass-compensated – something I will look into. The real time PM emissions are. 1.6% is under the usual 2% limit though it is expected that stoves will perform at 2% when running not from start to finish so it is quite an achievement.

The goal of being PM net-negative is still beckoning. That would be really cool to achieve.