[Stoves] Is this where we are headed ?

CHRISTA ROTH stoves at foodandfuel.info
Mon Mar 21 19:00:33 CDT 2011

Richard, to put this into context:  you might have missed out on the
fact that this article is ONLY referring to 'humanitarian settings',
meaning emergency situations and refugee camps, not the 'normal
citizen world' or the '90% using basic stoves every day' .

Refugee camps are commonly under a UN- mandate, with tasks being
distributed among  a number of different UN agencies, none of them
having a specific mandate or interest (and often not much knowledge)
on fuelwood issues.

Refugees are entirely on the receiving end, so somebody needs to make
sure that their needs to cook the rations they receive can also be
cooked appropriately and in a safe way.
The InterAgency Standing Committee Task force is taking this really
important topic for women's safety in such emergency situations up by
coordinating (and sensitizing)  the various UN agencies on the issue
of SAFE access to fuelwood.

I do congratulate the people e.g. at Women's Refugee Commission and UN
WFP for doing a good job on this topic and I sincerely hope that
followers of this list don't get  a negative opinion of  their
important work WITH and FOR women in refugee camps to ease their
burden of getting their food cooked in an appopriate way.

I heard women in a refugee camp in Uganda saying 'Oh, last month
wasn't so bad, I only got raped three times when I was collecting
firewood....' That, unfortunately is an ugly reality in many
humanitarian settings, unknown to many or not so publicly talked
about, even in those UN agencies that are supposed to ensure refugees
safety.

And by the way: I think the material developed by SAFE and the guiding
tools on how to assess the fuel situation  is helpful, not only in
emergency situations. You might still remember TV footage of charcoal-
stoves being delivered to Aceh in the post-Tsunami scenario, when
there was certainly a lot of wood from the destroyed houses to be
burnt, but certainly no charcoal. There are people, who don't know the
difference, for them a stove is a stove.
So the SAFE material has been developed to possibly avoid such kind of
scenarios in the future.
regards, Christa