[Stoves] Is this where we are headed ?

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 20:21:25 CDT 2011

Dear Richard and Tom

One of the hardest things for programmes aimed at distribution masses of
stoves or spending millions (literally) on is that the products they
fantasize they need simple don't exist. It comes up again and again: mass
pressure to spend on what the fiancé guys think is awaiting on the shelf
while dozens of techno geeks produce a working model of the miracle solution
each claim they can solve the problem.

It is very hard for us inventors to admit that we need more than 100
solutions. That said, it is very possible that not one of the regional
meetings will invent their unique solution to any meaningful standard. One
of the primary, the rootest of all root cause for this is because the
methods used to evaluate stoves can't effectively tell whether a proposed
stove is better than the ones it is supposed to replace, judged from several
points of view.

I have recently tested an improved stove of which several thousand copies
were made. The improvement was the lower emissions claimed, when measured
against the baseline. In fact the emissions were at least twice as high as
the original. If the measuring taking place on the ground in dispersed
meeting points can't find out that the emissions are twice as bad, is it any
wonder that there is no progress in hundreds of locations?

There may be one hundred local meetings but there has to be a modicum of
real science involved in the process so incremental, if not radical
solutions can be systematically developed.

Looking for solutions does not work if everyone is sitting in the dark. Lots
of searching but they don't find much.