[Stoves] Aprovecho Research Center Newsletter

Paul S. Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Fri Mar 25 19:40:26 CDT 2011

Dear Sam and Dean and all,

Great newsletter.

Item #2 was especially interesting about comparison of TLUD and open
fire when the room become an open area under a canopy.   Readers
should go to the Powerpoint for more info.

One question stemming from Slide 15 about Conclusions and discussion.
Your slide says:

Improvement of TLUD over open fire
What was significant?
What was not?
Why is that important?

But it is only the questions, not the responses.  Could you please
post the answers you have to your questions?

Another question.  You provide values for CO and PM in units such as

ug/m3   and    ppm    taken from ambient emissions testing equipment
(different from the PEMS equipment)
       (example below is from slide 12 only with data from Outside tests)

A=Stove   B=Measurement  C=Units   D=Estimated mean  E=Estimated error on mean

           A                     B                  C      D         E
3-Stone-Fire Outside   Average PM concentration   ug/m3 261.58   6.80E-08

       TLUD   Outside   Average PM concentration   ug/m3 170.49   267.13

3-Stone-Fire Outside   Average CO concentration    ppm 2.57     4.27E-10

       TLUD   Outside   Average CO concentration    ppm 1.49     2.77

and we see high and low values.  But I do not remember what are the
threshhold values or benchmarks or whatever measures to be used to say
that a numeric result is bad or meduim or good or whatever.  Please
direct me to such an explanation or please give your best
interpretation of those results.

Thanks,

Paul S. Anderson, PhD
Known to some as:  Dr. TLUD    Doc    Professor
Phone (USA): 309-452-7072   SKYPE: paultlud   Email: psanders at ilstu.edu
www.gtz.de/de/dokumente/giz2011-en-micro-gasification.pdf   (Best ref.)