[Stoves] [biochar] SCAD Farm Science Center,...and Anila stove

Max Turunen maxturunen at gmail.com
Thu May 19 05:52:44 CDT 2011

1. Anilas alone have been done for at least 5 years. Charcoal + composts /
nutrients (and without) tests have gone on for longer.

2. What comes out of anila... is what is put in there. It is confusing that
they show different stuff going in. In practice, things like dry grass or
dry leaves, tend to come out as charcoal powder when removed from stove.

3. Here is Anila usage instructions in slide images:
http://koti.mbnet.fi/maxt/tempstuff/anilaproject/anila%20using%20slides/

    (reason that this pantomime set is not released... is that I have not
came up with explaining image that says: "use outdoors or in very well
ventilated areas only, otherwise there may be danger from pyrolysis gasses
in case of stove leaking") Those images are freeware... (and honor and
gloria to person(s) who come up with image or few that can communicate that
warning.)

4. Video did not show the burning of the gasses... it only showed how the
intitial starting fuel (bits of wood here) were lit... and then it skipped
the gas flame stage... and straight to charcoal. But the video shows enough
for using it: in that hollow space where they load pieces of wood in center
of anila, is where the gas flames are burning during the pyrolysis. Here is
another set of pantomime slide images explaining the gas circulations:
http://koti.mbnet.fi/maxt/tempstuff/anilaproject/air/ (the last image in
that set depicts the gas flame) . (also freeware).

Pros of Anila: very sturdy... easy to learn to use, works fine. Sturdy =
very unlikely to break down and spill the meals, etc. (on test piece in
finland... 4+ years of rough treatment, exposure to moist, hot and cold
seasons... = some rust shows, device works fine as ever. no parts have been
broken in use or transportation during that time.)

Cons of Anila: bit of Roster Steel needed for the sturdy long lasting
versions, like those in the video are. May not work well on clearly sub zero
temperatures... (at - 10C to -15C I could not get it running on low quality,
somewhat wet and then frozen wood... just testing to the limits of usage. In
+10C to +20C Anila still worked on somewhat wet and old dog chewed wood
bits, but less efficiently, needing more of such wood to get the pyrolysis
going to cook the meals).

MaxT