[Stoves] Chart of breathable particles

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Fri May 20 09:46:59 CDT 2011

Dear Frank

>The fibers need to be >0.75" long to make into gloves etc. Amazing rock.

The only two places I know of that produce that quality are Asbestos and
Havelock Mine, Swaziland, which underlay the whole industrial development f
the country from about 1935. It close some years ago even though there is a
lot of ore left.

It had for decades the longest aerial tramway I the world. The ore was
placed into bags and loaded in 400 pound loads on a cableway that took it 35
km into South Arica, terminating just south of Barberton. Havelock, the town
and mine, is now owned by a small company which bought the entire place for
a few $. It is absolutely beautiful to visit and driving under the cableway
for miles is amazing. It is spectacularly mountainous. Havelock has a tunnel
diverting a river about a km through a mountain, necessary to access the ore
body which lay in a riverbed. You can take a rowboat through the tunnel.

Other types of asbestos, mostly used for cement products, were mined for
years in the region, basically in what is now the Mpumalanga Province. The
dumps from those mines are significant health hazards as they are mostly not
capped. A programme exists to do that.

What is the present replacement cementitious material that can be hand
formed to make stove innards? I would like to use some on the newest coal
stoves. Stainless steel fibres expand too much to work properly. It will
have to be something ceramic or perhaps carbon-based if the temperature is
not too high.

Regards
Crispin in sunny Waterloo