[Stoves] Char

rongretlarson at comcast.net rongretlarson at comcast.net
Sat May 28 15:58:29 CDT 2011

Tom and Frank:, stoves list (and adding "biochar-production" )

1. To Tom: Are you asking if one gets better compost at this higher temperature?

2. To Frank: This is the first time I have heard of "char" being produced at anything under about 300 C - usually 400 C and above. Can you clarify? I would think this dark product would disappear from the soil about as fast as any other compost. Even Torrification requires temperatures well above 70 o C. Although it would be great to hear more on this material in any case - which is maybe what Tom is asking.

One exception is that HTC (hydrothermal carbonization) (maybe called hydrochar) occurs at 230 o C (with corresponding high pressure, and a catalyst) - but might not be so recalcitrant either (recently reported - not sure) .

Ron