[Stoves] Char from bagasse

frank at compostlab.com frank at compostlab.com
Sat May 28 19:07:26 CDT 2011

On Sat, 28 May 2011 16:58:05 -0500, Paul S. Anderson wrote
> Frank,
>
> I think that I am not understanding something.  Are you saying that
> raw bagasse will become char when subjected to temperatures of about
>  75 deg C and higher?  I think we need temperatures of over 350 C.
>  The  temp of 75 C does not even drive off the water vapor and is
> not even  torrification temperature.
>
> I am missing something.
>
> Paul
> --
> Paul S. Anderson, PhD
> Known to some as:  Dr. TLUD    Doc    Professor
> Phone (USA): 309-452-7072   SKYPE: paultlud   Email: psanders at ilstu.edu
> www.gtz.de/de/dokumente/giz2011-en-micro-gasification.pdf   (Best
> ref.)
>
> Quoting Tom Miles <tmiles at trmiles.com>:
>
> > Frank,
> >
> > Is there any benefit to the composting to char or heat part of the bagasse
> > first?
> >
> > Tom

Paul, Ron Tom and all,

We fill compost chambers with compost and product (cut paper plates, cups,
spoons etc) and fit with air flow and place the unit in a controlled
temperature oven or large square box. The ovens are temperature controlled at
55 deg. C. The large box insulated and can reach 70+ deg from its own action.
In the 55 deg chambers we can smell 'burnt sugar' and a hard crust forms on
the bottom of the chamber. In this case it is likely the sugar we formulate
into the compost blend that did not dissolve (we have changed procedure
since). But it does show some carbonization at 55 deg C.

In the larger container what happens is as I describe. Cups and plated stay as
cups and plates where at a lower temperature they are covered with mold and
disappear. It could be the fungus is killed off but i think more is happening.
As compost fires can occur at lower temperatures when a chemical reaction
takes over (no idea what I am talking about). This reaction makes the
container resistant to biodegradation. Even placing an old container in a new
compost batch it does not biodegrade. Doubt it will last a thousand years
though. Frank

> http://www.bioenergylists.org/

--
Frank Shields