[Stoves] Cooking hood

Dean Still dstill at epud.net
Mon May 30 17:10:09 CDT 2011

Hi Kobus,

I've seen lots of smoke hoods around the world. Smoke hoods, in use and not,
can still be found in many cultures from the kitchens of Hampton Court(
where King Henry the 8th lived when he tired of London) to older houses in
Morocco, India, Mexico.

Building an earthen, brick and mortar, etc. open space, a chimney or hood,
that parallels the wall is a widely used traditional technique for removing
smoke from the kitchen and protecting health and keeping the kitchen a lot
cleaner. I copied the following from Wikipedia.

All Best,

Dean

*Biomass Cooking Stoves: *

*The History of Protecting Health*

 “The evolution of the kitchen is linked to the invention of the cooking
range <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooker> or
stove<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stove>and the development of water
infrastructure capable of supplying water to
private homes. Until the 18th century, food was cooked over an open
fire<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire>.
Technical advances in heating food in the 18th and 19th centuries changed
the architecture of the kitchen.

The kitchen remained largely unaffected by architectural advances throughout
the Middle Ages; open fire remained the only method of heating food.
European medieval kitchens were dark, smoky, and sooty places, hence their
name *"smoke kitchen"*. With the advent of the chimney, the hearth moved
from the center of the room to one wall, and the first brick-and-mortar
hearths were built.

Leonardo da Vinci <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonardo_da_Vinci> invented
an automated system for a rotating spit for spit-roasting: a propeller in
the chimney made the spit turn all by itself. This kind of system was widely
used in wealthier homes. Beginning in the late Middle
Ages<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_Ages>,
kitchens in Europe lost their home-heating function even more and were
increasingly moved from the living area into a separate room.

Freed from smoke and dirt, the living room thus began to serve as an area
for social functions and increasingly became a showcase for the owner's
wealth. Iron stoves, which enclosed the fire completely and were more
efficient, appeared. Benjamin
Thompson<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Thompson>in
England <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England> designed his "Rumford stove"
around 1800. This stove was much more energy efficient than earlier stoves;
it used one fire to heat several pots, which were hung into holes on top of
the stove and were thus heated from all sides instead of just from the
bottom.

The kitchen became a much cleaner space with the advent of "cooking
machines", closed stoves made of iron plates and fired by wood and
increasingly charcoal or coal, and that had flue
pipes<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flue_pipe>connected to the chimney.
The kitchen floors were tiled; kitchenware was
neatly stored in cupboards <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cupboard> to
protect them from dust and steam.”

(from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitchen)

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Kitchen_rural_1918.jpg>