[Stoves] Cooking hood

Kevin kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Mon May 30 22:31:23 CDT 2011

Dear Kobus

There could be a major difference between a "smoke hood" and a "cooking
hood", in that the smoke hood would have the relative absence of grease from
cooking. If the cooking was mostly boiling and simmering, the steam would
not be a fire hazard. However, if the cooking was mainly frying, there could
be a significant grease absorption on the hood surfaces, creating a possible
fire hazard. The chimney should be generously sized, to encourage good
ventilation, and thus cooling. There should be sufficient "air inlet area"
to the kitchen, to allow for entry of "make-up air." Elbows to get through
the wall should be sloped, so that if there was grease buildup, it would
drain back and signal a need for cleaning, rather than pooling and building
up where it could not be seen. A vertical chimney, through the roof, would
be best from a draft standpoint, but is structurally more complex, because
of roof leakage considerations. The penetration through the wall or roof
should have a "thimble" that creates an air space, with no contact of the
chimney with combustible material. In warm climates, where heating of the
living space is not a problem in Winter, an open space can be left around
the chimney, but if such air loss would be excessive, the space should be
filled with fiberglass insulation.

The hood needs a velocity of about 100 feet per minute around its open
perimeter for good pick-up of smoke and grease. (EG, a hood that was 2'x2',
located in the center of the room, would have an open  perimeter of 8 feet,
and the flow should be a total of about 800 CFM.  If the stove was located
in a corner, the same sized hood would only have an open perimeter of 4',
and would only need a flow of about 400 cfm. To keep the size small, it
should be mounted as low as, and as close to the top of the cooking area
that will be convenient for the cook.

Welding is not necessary. Sheet metal can be held together with "angled
brackets", that are attached to the sheet metal at the joints by rivets.
Rivets can be made from short length of thick copper wire.

Best wishes,

Kevin