[Stoves] Charcoal in Animal Feed and Bedding

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Tue Nov 1 11:19:25 CDT 2011

Kevin,

Charcoal has been used in animal feed and in animal bedding. The benefits
don't immediately come to mind but it is in the literature. We had lunch in
Kyoto with a manager of a sustainable farm near Hong Kong who was using
charcoal in bedding for broilers.

Palatability is probably not an issue if it is blended with normal feed.
Volume and density of feed components are issues that we face with all
natural additives in large scale, high rate, production. Charcoal would not
be used by large producers unless there was a clear benefit that it would
offset loss in weight gain, egg production, milk production or solve other
issues like disease. We fed ash from broiler litter that was enriched in
phosphorous to recycle P from the feed and to displace purchased dicalcium
phosphate. Birds were healthy and growth was good but the strategy was
rejected because pyrolysis  and combustion in the presence of chlorine (from
salt in the bird's diet) forms detectable dioxin. It is nowhere close to
toxic levels but because it is detectable producers will not use it as a
feed ingredient. This may not be an issue at the rural household level if
there are other benefits.

We see larger quantities of sand, or grit, in turkey litter than in broiler
litter. It's hard to beat the price of sand or clay.

The best way to recycle nutrients from poultry litter and manure may be by
composting it with biochar, as described by Christoph Steiner, or by
combining it with biochar and clay in an organo-mineral complex (synthetic
terra preta, STP) as described by Dr. Stephen Joseph and researchers in New
South Wales. Why burn nitrogen?

My favorite presentation in Kyoto was titled" Environmental Improvement and
Production of Delicious, High Quality Sake and Cheese through Use of Buried
Charcoal," by Takemichi Tsurumi. Hopefully the presentation will appear on
the Japan Biochar Association or conference website.
http://www.geocities.jp/yasizato/JBA.htm

Japanese have many uses for charcoal like soft charcoal for tea ceremonies
and hard charcoal (binchotan) for pottery making. Tsurumi described two
uses:

1.  Producers of Sake in Chiba Prefecture

                "Hard charcoal and powdered charcoal are buried and layers
of charcoal are spread on the premises. Through iyashirochi-ka the activity
of micro-organisms is improved and delicious, high quality sake is produced.
Over 30 tons are used in 14 places on the premise."

2. An NPO in Hokkaido

                "With buried charcoal in houses, cattle barns, production
facilities, cheese factory, maturation room, and fields, micro-organisms are
activated through iyashirochi-ka, and delicious, high quality cheese is
produced.

In both cases, production makes improved use of micro-organisms in
conjunction with carbon storage through the iyashirochi-ka that accompanies
carbon storage, delicious sake and cheese are produced."

In this case Tsurumi explained that only wood buildings can be used Metal
building "interrupt the electron flow." iyashirochi-ka seems to be an
intriguing process for someone to pursue.

The examples were given for small farms. This might be a strategy that could
be used for rural farmers making charcoal for biochar or cooking.

Unless there is further interest from the stoves community this discussion
should move to the biochar list.

Tom