[Stoves] Heat / cook stove - proposed design

Darren Hill mail at vegburner.co.uk
Sun Nov 6 16:33:38 CST 2011

Hello Everyone,

After this project going well onto the back burner as it warmed up here,
the temperature we are seeing at night now is focusing my attention again.

If anyone is interested discussion about this started 29th December and
went on until 23rd February.  The stove is about half built- I'm going
to be working on it again on Tuesday.

I've attached a diagram of how I'm now planning to build the grate and
throat area.  (I took the liberty of modifying the GIZ diagram Crispin
kindly sent to explain an appropriate layout)

As I'm only going to be burning wood and in my experience of wood stoves
all the wood burns to a light ash which would easily fall through the
grate I am planning to have a stationary grate.   Am I making the wrong
decision here?

I'd welcome anybodies thoughts on things as they stand.

Hoping to get it finished soon.  Considering the number of people I've
been describing it to all year it would be good to also let them know
how it works!!!  I've never seen anything like this in action - I'm
thoroughly intrigued.

Best regards

Darren

[Stoves] Building my Heat / cook stove.
Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 21:46:01 PST 2011

Dear Darren

I think you are going to have a couple of problems with the layout as drawn
and they are solvable.

Let's look at them all:

1.       The restricted height at the entrance of the combustion area is
probably the right height, but that is for limiting the amount of fuel that
can fall onto the grate further in.

2.       The grate needs to extend into the whole area under the combustion
zone or else it will fill up with ash and you don't have a way to get it
out. The grate is correctly placed, perhaps a little steep but that can be
altered. Char and ash will fall forward (as it should) but end up in the
bottom of the combustion area.

3.       The constriction you describe well on the side is going to catch
some of the char and ash and might (or not) create a bridging problem. You
can address that if it happens.

4.       The purpose of getting the grate under all the horizontal area
solves two things: it allows a lot of controllable air to reach the far end
of the grate where there will always be less fuel. That means air gets
through and effectively becomes secondary air. If you make the grate
shakeable, you can clear the ash but you will need to have it stop at a
vertical or inclined surface or the bottom will get blocked.

5.       We are having pretty much the same layout but the restriction is
above the grate about 100mm. This allows the grate to carry enough fuel and
still have all the gases and smoke and flames come together above the fuel.

6.       We start the fire by placing some fuel on the grate, extending into
the part below the combustion area then top-light in the combustion area.
The fire works its way back to the fuel hopper it the top is left open. Then
when it is well established, close the hopper and vary the air with the
controller you indicated.

7.       The key change is the extension of the grate, perhaps at a lower
angle. We are using 15-20 degrees but there is nothing magic in that.

8.       I have attached a drawing of the GIZ 7.1 combustion chamber that
worked very well using all the principles mentioned. Note the angled piece
on the right. This protects the grate from becoming blocked from movement by
trapping something between it and the wall, when shaken.

9.       Note the constriction above the left side of the grate. It is 100 x
80mm. As you look at the side view drawing, the grate is 155 deep. That
means the moving part is about 260 x 155.