[Stoves] Heat / cook stove - proposed design

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Fri Nov 25 14:49:01 CST 2011

Re: [Stoves] Heat / cook stove - proposed design

Fri, 25 Nov 2011 02:52:47 +0000

Darren  <mailto:mail at vegburner.co.uk> <mail at vegburner.co.uk>

Discussion of biomass cooking stoves
<mailto:stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org> <stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org>

Getting close to completing this stove now.

Some photos are attached.

I've also attached a drawing of how things stand now (not to scale)

The door and hatch are made and have fire rope seals.  These will be fitted
once everything else is together.

I've used a cast iron grate from an old coal stove that was the perfect
size.

A couple of things I'm wondering

*At the moment all the secondary air is going in through some square section
pipe with an internal diameter of 20x20mm that enters at the rear of the
combustion chamber above the ceramic blocks.  (shown as blue square in
stove2-7.jpg).  Is this going to supply enough air or should I put a similar
sized secondary air inlet on the front of the stove also?

*Crispins GIZ design has an area where the combustion chamber tapers wider
(an expansion chamber?).  I've drawn this in green in stove2-7.jpg . How
important is this?  I could make these sloping walls from sheet steel or I
guess buy some refractory material sheets (my x partner who is making this
with me had some jewellers heat mats that would appear suitable although she
appeared reluctant to give them up)   Is this a crucial detail?  What effect
does it have on combustion? what would happen if I leave them out?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.  Hopefully I should finish and test fire
it in the coming week.

Best

Darren