[Stoves] Vegetable oil or biodiesel?

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 21:28:42 CST 2011

Dear Stovers,
I take this opportunity to report an unsuccessful experiment of mine.
In India, vegetable oil is used as fuel in oil lamps and nowadays they
use kerosene as fuel in lamps. I mixed ordinary soap (sodium oleate)
with the liquid fuel and lighted the lamp. I had this idea, that I
would get a bright yellow sodium flame, having a much greater
luminosity than the ordinary oil lamp or kerosene lamp. It didn't work
that way. One apparently needs much higher temperature to get the
sodium to glow.
Yours
A.D.Karve