[Stoves] Vegetable oil or biodiesel?

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 21:58:35 CST 2011

Dear AD

South African 'illuminating paraffin' has such an additive but I can't
remember what it is. Prof Lloyd can perhaps comment (?) when he reads this.
'Power paraffin' (for engines) is the same thing without the additive.

+++++

Dear Stovers,
I take this opportunity to report an unsuccessful experiment of mine.
In India, vegetable oil is used as fuel in oil lamps and nowadays they use
kerosene as fuel in lamps. I mixed ordinary soap (sodium oleate) with the
liquid fuel and lighted the lamp. I had this idea, that I would get a bright
yellow sodium flame, having a much greater luminosity than the ordinary oil
lamp or kerosene lamp. It didn't work that way. One apparently needs much
higher temperature to get the sodium to glow.
Yours
A.D.Karve