[Stoves] Looking for a stove designed for larger amounts of biochar

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 22:18:37 CST 2011

Dear Stovers,
we are currently using 200 litre steel barrels for charring sugarcane
leaves into charcoal. Our kilns work on the TLUD principle. Since
sugarcane leaves are light in weight and difficult to transport, we
send our kilns to the farm where they are harvesting sugarcane,
convert the dry leaves into charcoal and bring the charcoal back to
our briquetting facility. The gaseous part of the leaves is burned and
exhausted. Being an ambient operation, we cannot harvest or use the
energy generated by burning the gaseous fraction of the biomass. But
since sugarcane leaves are in any case burned in the field itself,
nobody mourns for the loss of energy.
Yours
A.D.Karve

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Paul S. Anderson <psanders at ilstu.edu> wrote:
> Dear Gajin and all,
>
> When you make much large volumes of biochar, the amount of heat will
> generally be far excessive for any cookstove application.
>
> Therefore, either waste the heat or find some other application.  And often
> the large applications (even water heating  or drying) are more expensive to
> build than the biochar maker.  Tough choices.
>
> Are your associates willing to waste the heat?  and what is the supply of
> dry biomass?
>
> I agree with the comment by the NGO Miombo, 200 liter barrels are currently
> about as large as is convenient unless money and experimentation are
> available.
>
> I hope more people make comments.  Be sure to check the biochar websites for
> ideas that are not closely linked to stoves.
>
> Paul
> --
> Paul S. Anderson, PhD
> Known to some as:  Dr. TLUD    Doc    Professor
> Phone (USA): 309-452-7072   SKYPE: paultlud   Email: psanders at ilstu.edu
> www.gtz.de/de/dokumente/giz2011-en-micro-gasification.pdf   (Best ref.)
>

>> Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 16:48:06 +0100
>> From: bojcajanus at gmail.com
>> To: stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org
>> Subject: [Stoves] Looking for a stove designed for larger amounts of
>> biochar
>>
>> Dear stovers,
>>
>> so  far I have been mostly
>> just following your discussions as to learn as  much as I could, now I
>> would like to ask you for advice. I hope it is OK  by you.
>>
>> Just
>> a few words of introduction: I am a journalist,  marketer and
>> entrepreneur. This year I have brought the TLUD Champion  stoves from
>> India to Slovenia and started introducing them as well the  whole idea of
>> biochar to Slovenian farmers and gardeners through my  blog, articles and
>> presentations. A few weeks ago I had a presentation  of permaculture,
>> biochar and the TLUD Champion stove to members of biodynamic society  Ajda
>>  Goriška; they were very interested in the whole idea, eager to try
>> it  out, but they all have larger areas of land so biochar, made by a
>> small  TLUD Biochar stove just is not big enough for  them ... We were
>> discussing to make a big stove and produce enough  biochar for all of them
>> and then imply the activated biochar to their  fields. I am searching
>> through the net to find plans for a larger stove,  I have already seen
>> some we could try out and we  could make ourselves, but would also be very
>> grateful for any ideas and  advice! The ideal stove would not only produce
>> biochar but could be used  for cooking on as well.
>>
>>  Kind
>> regards,
>>  Bojca
>> --
>>

>>   Gajin vrt, Bojca Januš
>> s.p.
>>  Zaplana 54 f, 1373 Rovte, Slovenia, EU
>>
>> + 386 40 325 939
>> bojcajanus at gmail.com

> [...]

***
Dr. A.D. Karve
Trustee & Founder President, Appropriate Rural Technology Institute (ARTI)