[Stoves] Looking for a stove designed for larger amounts of biochar

Alex English english at kingston.net
Mon Nov 14 05:54:04 CST 2011

Dear A.D. Karve,

You have now been at this for a decade or so.   I, predictably, am just
curious to know more details.
Perhaps it would be useful  information for others too.

Concerning your TLUD style kilns, can you share with us ;

1. how many of these kilns are active,
2. how much total charcoal all the kilns produce per year or season,
3. what percentage of ARTI charcoal briquettes are made with charcoal
from these kilns,
4. how long it takes to earn back the purchase price of the kiln,
5. how long the kilns last.
6. are the number of these kilns in use still growing.
7. is there a subsidy for any part of this energy production-stove chain.
8. has the kiln been adopted beyond your region.
9. what is the bulk density of the charred cane trash as transported
before being briquetted.
10. average distance it travels from field to market.
11. Are any wheels involved in the cane fields, either moving the kiln
to the trash or the trash to the kiln.
12. Are there any concerns about the loss of nutrients from these fields.

Warm regards
Alex English