[Stoves] Looking for a stove designed for larger amounts of biochar

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 22:09:57 CST 2011

Dear Alex,
there is officially a ban on making charcoal. Several people who
purchased our kiln and started making charcoal from agricultural waste
or from leaf litter, had to stop this operation because they were
threatened with arrest and fines by the forest authorities. The
present law, banning charoal making, does not specify the raw material
that one uses. It only says that making charcoal was prohibited. It is
silly of the persons stoppinbg the charring of agricultural waste as
they go entirely by the word of the law and not by its spirit. It is
obvious that they would allow charring of even wood, if you paid a
bribe, because wood charcoal is openly sold everywhere. The sellers
claim that it came from a state where charring is not banned. Most of
the rural householders use wood as domestic cooking fuel, and they are
always left with a small quantity of charcoal in their stove. Our
Sarai cooker needs only about 100 to 150 g charcoal to cook the meal
for 5 to 10 persons. So the rural users use the charcoal generated in
their own stoves. The urban users can buy wood charcoal from the
vendors mentioned above. A certain proportion of them get char
briquettes from us.
Yours
A.D.Karve

--