[Stoves] Stove costs

Paul Olivier paul.olivier at esrla.com
Fri Nov 18 17:44:10 CST 2011

I am not a big believer in tin can stoves that last a short while and must
be discarded after a few months.
Poor people deserve gasifiers that last a long time.
We should not offer poor people cooking units that we would not be proud to
operate in our own kitchens.
I believe it is possible to make high-quality gasifiers that sell for less
than $20.
For example, a reactor made in ceramic can withstand heat as high as 1,750
C,
Yet it can be bought for about $4.50 US.

Also in the context of producing gas for purposes of cooking,
I favor true, high temperature gasification (>700C), not pyrolysis.
The principle idea is to produce a clean gas consisting, above all else, of
H2 and CO.
It takes a lot less secondary air to burn H2 and CO than to burn methane,
propane or butane.
In a cooking situation, we should not be concerned with producing acetic
acid, oils or even methane.
Biochar is important, but it is a by-product of the production of a clean
cooking gas.

Here is a small gasifier of an interior diameter of 100 mm:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22013094/100%20Ceramic%20Gasifier/001.pdf
The reactor here consists of a ceramic pipe normally used as a conduit for
molten metal.
This gasifier has a low-pressure, semi-premix burner.
It is not designed to support pots and pans.
Rather it fits into a stove top which does so.

Thanks.
Paul

--
Paul A. Olivier PhD