[Stoves] What is poor?

Xavier Brandao xvr.brandao at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 23:36:23 CST 2011

Roger said:
"I think that the end price of a better built unit is better "overall" as
planned obsolescence costs the environment far more than dollars".
You may be right, it may not be a good solution, it needs to be estimated.
It is not planned obsolescence since the goal is not to have an obsolete
product, and make people buy more. The goal is to make them use something
they wouldn't have used, even if it means selling a short life-span stove to
greatly bring down costs.

Overall costs including environmental costs need to be estimated. Maybe we
can allow the stove to be repairable by local welders? If not, we have to
make sure the materials can be reused on the local market. Ceramics in
stoves can be sold (or can it?) to ceramic makers, they use it in the
production process. Old sheet metal can be sold to people who ship it, to
Europe I think, and then it is recycled. The question is : to what extent
will people spontaneously do it rather than dump the old stove in the
nature?
Perhaps customers could deposit the old stove when they buy a new one (just
like a glass bottle ...). Then the producer needs to figure out if it is
possible to recollect and recycle the used stoves, if it is viable on an
economic point of view. Difficult if the factory is overseas, and because
the stove has such a small economic value.

Xavier