[Stoves] What is poor?

Fireside Hearth firesidehearthvashon at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 22 00:05:20 CST 2011

 Xavier.....

        Some folks think I am completely out of my mind....and maybe I am. My silly stove is built like a bomb shelter. I doubt I will ever sell anyone a second one because of life cycle....maybe because they like one so much they found reason to have another. My cost is hovering around $1700.00/unit. I have recently decided to thin down my casing, cook top, and combustion chamber walls a bit to improve heat transfer, as well as using a less expensive stainless steel. I just can't seem to destroy one of these darn things. My move is based on overall heat output, weight, and portability....not cost. I do think we will gain performance and save some money at the same time, however one of my goals is to stop throwing useful materials in the land fill. As a stove dealer I sold and installed thousands of units. I also saw folks dumping old ones in the water for anchors, or in the land fill. This just kills me. Most of the stoves I installed as early as 1986 are still in use. I did not have much for the "low" end customers. These folks who bought cheap have replaced their stoves 1 or 2 times. To me this just means that more energy was expended in manufacturing, shipping, transportation of workers, making of raw materials......the list goes on, and on, and on.
       To promote the sale of stoves which would last one or two years, I believe, is completely contrary to our "community" quest of "saving the planet". If it "costs" too much to use good materials.......why bother? one way or the other we still use up far too much resources to attain the end result, might as well burn the Amazon in a year. I have bought cheap ass tools from china for example. In fact I bought 4 sets of socket wrenches, one for the home, business, car, truck. Three out of four broke within two weeks, sure the warranty replaced them, and into the dump they went.....wonderful. It was a better buy spending the extra money to get the craftsman set made in the usa....sorry.
I then got a really expensive set from snap on. I like the craftsman better.
       My long winded point is that we need to stop thinking short term, and weigh in ALL the factors. Yes my stove will NEVER get to these impoverished nations unless I can either subsidize it myself, or find another way of manufacturing.......like regionally, using regional business owners who will do for others in order to do for themselves. But to sell cheap crap that serves a short life span might have just as much long term damage as no action at all.

        Respectfully,

                   Roger and Bridget Lehet
                    Unforgettable Fire LLC
                   Fireside Hearth Shoppe