[Stoves] Vegetable oils

Boll, Martin Dr. boll.bn at t-online.de
Mon Nov 28 17:00:42 CST 2011

Dear Piet and Frans,

As far as I remember to have read, the Protos makes a real high pressure by
a pump, in order to make a small droplet spray that can be ignited directly,
and not the same way as a kerosene-burner, with pre-warming and first making
damps out of the fuel, which secondly burns.

Really _years_ ago I wanted to get some more information about the
Protos-stove, because the company which deals/develop it is settled in
Germany.
They only proposed to inform about the progress of the stove.
I got never further information.
Is that for secret, is that because of my being un-important, is that
because of long-term "shit"-function of that stove - like old wafer-irons
have fat-layers, which would, by time, in the burner inside clog the hot
feeding tubes.
Frans, your idea with ultrasonic made droplets is fine.
Since many years ultrasonic equipment is used to humidify the breathing air
of Patients in the clinic.
Now I see more and more that sort of ultrasonic-made "fog" being dispatched
over fruit and vegetables in supermarkets, to hold it fresh (to keep the
water-weight). I guess that cannot be any more very expansive.

Regards
-En beste groeten half de wereld rond en in de buurt-

Martin

---------------------------------
Dear Crispin,

As far as I know the difference between kerosene (paraffin) and higher
hydrocarbon fractions, including vegetable oils is the fact that they are
not distillable under atmospheric pressure.

Undistillable hydrocarbons are fed into the fire as a spray of very fine
droplets that burn completely. The same could be done with vegetable oils
at the combustor end. However, most vegetable oils tend to react slowly
with oxygen to form gunk which eventually blocks the passages it has to
flow through.

So for a stove that burns vegetable oil, the piping from the storage to the
burner should be of very simple shape and easy to clean.

Realising that producing a spray of fine droplets is out of the question
for domestic stoves, we have to find something that feeds the oil to the
combustion zone where the carbon, resulting from the decomposition of the
oil is burnt as well. Possibly something like a perforated disk where the
oil burns in updraft mode and where the holes occupy a sufficient part of
the disk area that all the char comes in contact with air.

Does the Protos stove have any relation to Siemens. If so they should hang
their head in shame, not having read up on the properties of vegerable oil.

All the best,

Piet