[Stoves] Vegetable oils

Richard Stanley rstanley at legacyfound.org
Tue Nov 29 04:37:58 CST 2011

Crispin,
Interesting idea but we never thought of caustic soda: We just dipped one end of the bq for a few seconds-after all, we are talking about  its just 1 - 2 ccys / bq., eh.
•The oil  did not penetrate much more than a cm depth from the dipped end.
•It did not actually burn as hot as an oil-less  biomass bq. of same blend.
•Oil actually retarded combustion once the bq. got going:  It appeared to be mainly good for ignition.

Adding more oil (fresh or waste) actually tended to make  the bq. soggy.
but all this was done  back in 97-8 in Malawi then again in 2003-4…with Kobus Venter.

We ultimately gave up on it, as we got better at blending, frankly…

Kobus may recall more (Kobus?)

Richard
in balmy Dar es Salaam