[Stoves] Rocket Stove for the PLACE

Andrew C. Parker acparker at xmission.com
Thu Oct 6 20:09:04 CDT 2011

Jote,

In what city, country, is 64th and San Pablo located?

What are the HVAC and air quality regulations/restrictions?

How big is your space.  Is it insulated, and if so, how well is it
insulated?  Lots of windows?  Relatively airtight or leaks like a sieve?

What is the BTU/kW rating of the conventional heater that would normally
heat
your space?

What are you going to burn?

If you haven't already, review the manual, Designing Heating Stoves,
located here:

http://www.aprovecho.org/lab/index.php?option=com_rubberdoc&view=doc&id=18&format=raw

You might also want to review the work done by Peter Scott with tobacco
drying in Malawi, as well as Larry Winiarski's wood-fired food dryer.

If you are restricted to using an EPA approved wood stove, you might be
able to get greater efficiency by putting in a good heat exchanger in the
flue (being careful to maintain sufficient draft), if regulations permit.

This is not necessarily a good project to rush into.  You may be better
served looking for a used wood stove or insert for your immediate needs,
then take some time to design an appropriately artful heater.

Good Luck,

Andrew Parker