[Stoves] Lion Cub Stove and Rocket Barbecue

Steve Taylor steve at thetaylorfamily.org.uk
Thu Oct 6 23:46:30 CDT 2011

On 6 October 2011 01:46, Andrew C. Parker <acparker at xmission.com> wrote:

> Insulating the combustion area and flue should improve combustion.  If you
> have some leftover fiberglass or rockwool batting, you could wrap some
> around and run an experiment (don't use the kind encapsulated in plastic).
>
> You may want to experiment with nesting tubes to preheat primary and/or
> secondary air, rather than (or, in addition to) adding insulation.

I wondered about a MKII with propane tank for the base, partially filled
with a refractory, and adding the flue to the top. Not sure how to preheat
primary air, short of adding a fan.

> I need to resize my stove to fit the opening into the barbecue.  The flow
> is being choked now, and I get more smoke than I should.  It is still a vast
> improvement over an open fire.

I used a plasma cutter and made a compass to guide the cutter around a
convenient hole in the base of the kettle.

> Do you get any backdraft through your feed tube?  Is there a separate
> primary air source?

No, the angle was about 40 deg to the horizontal, and there's no sign of
back draught.

I left the bottom of the flue open, so its drawing primary from there, in
preference, I think.

Steve