[Stoves] Don't waste the heat, grow red wigglers and glorious greens

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 06:01:07 CDT 2011

On Thursday 13 October 2011 21:50:31 Gerrie Baker wrote:
> Precisely that is why I propose using the huge boiler in the greenhouse
> to produce biochar and the waste heat is "captured" and utilized for
> raising worms and growing food.

There's no technical problems with this as Alex has demonstrated with a
normal woodchip stoker boiler.

> I would like input from experts who
> want to advise and partner with this project. Nightime fire tending is
> covered and when hot and air is shut down the char forms and the water
> continues to circulate in the floor until light of day,

No need to the high mass masonry type stove using a TLUD that Ronal seems
to be advocating, go straight from sequentially fired batch loaded TLUD
into a stratified water thermal store, if the floor runs at low
temperature with an injector circuit the rejected heat in the water
returning at ~30C need not destratify the store.

> char is cooled
> and removed and cycle resumes with reignighting the fire box mid
> afternoon. The char chunks produced in this huge wood biomass burner is
> amazing and I have noticed positive results in both the worm beds and
> gardens where it is applied.  Gerrie

Why wait to cool the char, just dunk it to reduce the chance of a high CO
emitting continued combustion?

AJH