[Stoves] why does coffee husk biochar smell like urine?

Alex English english at kingston.net
Sat Oct 15 19:08:41 CDT 2011

Paul,
It is possible that the ash (elemental composition) contains 38% K20.
Tom Miles et al. report on Alkali in Biomass
list;
http://www.trmiles.com/alkali/fuelsc7.html
Alfalfa stems 28%
Bana Grass 43%
Almond Hulls 53%

Alfalfa hay can have up to 3% K on a dry basis. K-potassium is a
nutrient that plants will take up in "luxury consumption" when more is
available. Rain can wash some out of the leaves of living alfalfa plants.

K will start to volatilize at fairly low temperatures with losses
increasing with temperature. Other ash components will influence this
rate and the form it takes.(example Sulfates and Chlorides) Some of the
K is usually left within the char structure and some on the surfaces
that will likely be quickly available to plants.

Odiferous char is often associated with  volatile organic compounds
remaining in  or condensing on low temperature chars but they don't
resemble urine to me.

Alex