[Stoves] IBI Draft Guidleines for Biochar Specifications

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 17:58:23 CDT 2011

Dear Tom and All

Picking up on your point as to why things have been chosen, and also on Andrew and Ron’s points about what was chosen, I toss in my observations after three frustrating years of trying to get the coal industry standard analysis (methods) to somehow agree with the biomass industry norms.

There are so many differing ways fuels are analysed, and they are so functionally useless when it comes to accurately characterising stove performance, that we had to develop our own approach. The closest and most sensible are the approaches taken by the biomass/stoves community because they are the closest to ultimate analysis at any stage of processing.

Obviously in Ulaanbaatar we are working mostly with coal and we were given reams of tests from coal companies about their products. To my surprise the actual carbon, hydrogen and oxygen content is not really known at any stage of the analysis. Even now, no one can tell what the hydrogen content of the volatiles is for any of the dozen or so coals available.

The discussion of the char analysis seems to be proceeding along the same path and the importance of the issue of carbon, how much in each form, will probably dominate future correspondence. Obviously the labile portion of the char is important for agricultural application of bio-active char. If the conditions of char production are not known, variability in the result is guaranteed. It is not ‘char’ that is needed, it is some inert carbon and some labile carbon and the ratio is determined by the condition of the soil. Wow.

When it comes to ‘carbon’ in a fuel there is the total atomic content, the amount that is locked in forms that amount to being included in the ash, the carbon that comes out easily with the volatiles (which are never, or hardly ever analysed). There is the carbon that is left after coking – supposedly the ‘fixed’ portion.

There is no such this as ‘fixed’ carbon in the way people think of it. It is merely a way of stating the amount of carbon that remains after heating using a particular protocol. If you use a different protocol, you get a different value. In all the ‘carbon’ remaining, there are volatiles and H2. So it is hardly ‘fixed carbon’ because some of it will come out if you heat it farther.

Here is an example (and it is by no means the only approach taken)

The technician heats the sample to 105 C for 1 hour and the mass loss determined to get the nominal moisture content. It is not the total water content because some water will still emerge at a higher temperature. If you crush the coal to <2mm before doing this it will give you a higher % moisture for the very same fuel because moisture can be hard to get out. [Some protocols use ‘air dried’ with no specification whatsoever as to what the conditions are.] Then it is heated again (sometimes) to a higher temperature and the moisture loss calculated again. That is classed as ‘inherent moisture’ and it is sometimes higher than the ‘moisture’. Bizarre. With biomass we think only of total moisture which is the second important number for any fuel after the LHV.

Following this it is again heated to perhaps 420 C in a closed container with a small hole to allow out the volatiles. This is used to calculate the ‘volatiles’ content. Whatever is missing is volatile.

Then it is heated again to 830 (or another number) and air is supplied. The ‘fixed carbon’ (which contains hydrocarbons and sulphur) burns off leaving ‘ash’. Whatever remains is considered to be the ash content, even if it contains carbon.

The process is arbitrary. There is no definitive science suggesting that only a certain approach should be used. As the coal (or biomass) is heated, more and more of the content evaporates or burns depending on the conditions. What I have learned is that the ‘moisture content’ is not accurate. The ‘volatiles’ is almost arbitrary as what is left has lots of volatiles. The ‘fixed carbon’ is a meaningless name because some of the carbon left already and some is left and after burning it there is still some left. On top of this, the final % of content given for fixed carbon, volatiles and ash do not include the sulphur content which is simply ignored even if the content is 3 or 4%. You could not make up a stranger set of numbers.

None of them are useful for calculating the performance of a stove because whatever you use from them is inaccurate, often significantly so. Significant in the scientific sense.

I suggest that you insist that all analyses be done with ultimate analysis as a format, and that you try to get other to do the same. At least then you can work out what energy you have, what SO2, CO2 and H2O to expect during a test, and what the HHV and LHV are.

When it comes to charcoal for agricultural uses, it is necessary to use fluorescence and diffraction methods to determine what the form of carbon is, because inert carbonates are not the only things to subtract from the total carbon. It will be available in several forms which are labile or relatively inert and perhaps still in the form of volatiles hydrocarbons. Complex stuff, this.

++++++

Ref: http://bit.ly/biocharguidelines

The Guidelines represent a substantial and very useful effort on the part of IBI and its advisors. After an initial reading I would suggest that IBI provide more discussion or justification for the choices that have been made.  While there is a long list of references the reasons for the IBI selection may not be apparent.

1.       Methods of analysis

a.       What alternate methods that are used in other countries such as the CEN or ISO apply?

b.      Explain reasons for selecting each method.

c.       Fixed Carbon and Volatile Carbon are not included in the Level 1 characterization. Why? They are typically included in a proximate analysis for fuels (MC, Ash, FC, VC)

2.       Maximum values

a.       Why are “maximum”  values indicated for  Level 1 (Characterization) for ash (L1), H:C (L1)?

3.       Where are the biochar reference databases used to developing these guidelines? For example, EPA provides reference databases for fuels, or analyses for hundreds of fuels when recommending a procedure or rule.  These are often referenced in whitepapers.

4.       What commercial and non-commercial laboratories have been consulted?

5.       What is the typical cost for each level of analysis in commercial labs?

Tom