[Stoves] Interested in the of Rice Husk Stoves of Alexis Belonio

Paul Olivier paul.olivier at esrla.com
Sun Oct 16 21:32:43 CDT 2011

Norman,

We will soon begin the mass production of gasifier parts,
especially those parts that are difficult to make one at a time.
Mass production lowers costs by as much as 60%, sometimes even more.
All parts that we will offer (except for the burner) are in stainless steel.
We want to make these parts available to workshops in developing countries
at basically our cost.
We also intend to buy fans in large quantities to lower costs.
Some parts that I have designed are interchangeable across gasifiers ranging
in diameter from 100 to 500 mm.
Here in Vietnam we can mass produce items more cheaply than in China.
We will sell these items, of course, at a higher prices in developed
countries,
and this higher price will subsidize the sale of gasifier parts in
developing countries.

Here is the reactor of a 150 gasifier.
This part you could easily make yourself:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22013094/150%20Gasifier%20Jpegs5/150%20Gasifier.jpg
Let us add the handles.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22013094/150%20Gasifier%20Jpegs5/002.jpg
They screw on to the reactor:
Let us add the air pipe:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22013094/150%20Gasifier%20Jpegs5/003.jpg
The air pipe also serves as a handle and a leg.
Note that it has a press fitting that allows the fan assembly to be easily
mounted:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22013094/150%20Gasifier%20Jpegs5/004.jpg
The fan used here is strong enough to power all sizes of gasifiers that we
offer.

It is important to remove the fan at the end of each batch.
When the reactor is in an upside down position in emptying it of char,
hot gases rush through the air pipe and can damage the fan in just a few
months.
Of course the reactor has a grate at the bottom:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22013094/150%20Gasifier%20Jpegs5/005.jpg

Next comes the burner:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22013094/150%20Gasifier%20Jpegs5/006.jpg
This is essentially a Belonio burner, but we will mass produce in cast iron.
Next comes the burner housing:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22013094/150%20Gasifier%20Jpegs5/007.jpg
The burner housing allows for a big turn-down ratio.
It also shields the flame from wind, and it routes hot secondary air to the
burner holes.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22013094/150%20Burner/IMG_0444.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22013094/150%20Burner/IMG_0445.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22013094/150%20Burner/IMG_0448.JPG
With the burner housing, rice hull gas burns with a blue flame right from
the beginning of the burn.

Do not look too closely in these pictures at the position of the flamelets
relative to the burner holes.
This changes the moment a pot is placed above the burner.
When a pot is placed above the burner, the flow of secondary air slows down
substantially,
and the flamelets appear right above the burner holes.
I have discovered that the flow of secondary air can be regulated in part by
the height of the pot above the burner.
It appears that the flow of secondary air becomes one with the flow of gas
as it combusts and hits the pot above.
I know that the pot should be as close as possible to the burner,
but at the same time one has to take into account how the height of the pot
influences secondary air flow.

We will do everything we can to help you lower your costs in fabricating
gasifiers.
Also we will provide drawings on how to construct stove tops.
The stove top is what determines the height of the pot above the burner.
A well-designed stove top is key to public acceptance.
Stove tops might vary in cost from just a few dollars to several hundred
dollars.
I see a day coming soon when gasifiers and stove tops are incorporated into
modern kitchens.

For more on what we are doing in Vietnam, please see:
http://esrla.com/pdf/landfill_06.pdf

Many thanks.
Paul

--