[Stoves] Hi TLUDers -- and EPA testing questions

Dean Still deankstill at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 19:54:43 CDT 2011

Hi Ron,

1.) For the EPA we tried to burn all the fuel about 2/3 as wood and 1/3 as
charcoal to get the best fuel economy.
2.) As far as I can tell, no primary air can make it up through the pellets
until 2/3 fuel is gone and the bottom air gets up through the remaining
charcoal.
3.) I don't remember exactly. We used a StoveTec Rocket and added something
like a 9" chimney. We probably used around 1000 grams of fuel to begin.
4.) No.
5.) No field tests yet.
6.) TLUD cost could be the same as a Rocket.

I hope that some place in the world will be positioned to make 100%
renewable pellets, get carbon credits, and use super clean TLUDs. We'll see.
Natural draft is obviously easier than having to use an electric fan. I
think that it's possible that some government or large business will follow
the BP model. I think that the job of the stove movement is to be ready with
the engineering design principles for TLUDs, fan stoves, super clean Rockets
when a capable entity is ready to move forward.

All Best,

Dean