[Stoves] What is a convective shield?

rongretlarson at comcast.net rongretlarson at comcast.net
Mon Oct 24 13:31:33 CDT 2011

Paul and list:

Answers below.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul S. Anderson" <psanders at ilstu.edu>
To: rongretlarson at comcast.net
Cc: "Dean Still" <deankstill at gmail.com>, "Discussion of biomass cooking stoves" <stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org>
Sent: Monday, October 24, 2011 9:05:00 AM
Subject: What is a convective shield?

Ron,

Is a conventive shield a jargon name for pot skirts? Are there other
convective shields? If so, please explain in detail.

[RWL: Not sure which term is "jargon". I believe the terms can be used interchangeably.
I first read about them in a wonderful late (?) 1980's paper on stoves for USAID by Dr. Sam Baldwin, when then at Princeton. Had some theory. Looking up other literature on convective heat transfer might give some ideas on why they are helpful. This was a popular topic probably in first year or two of "stoves".

I brought it up with Dean because Aprovecho has or had them for sale ( ?) - and I was wondering if part of his excellent results for their (new-to-me) combined Rocket/TLUD in the PCIA report were due to the skirts.

This has probably been looked at theoretically also by Dr. Dale Andreatta, who I am ccing. This is an area where experimental modification is not too difficult - and a huge amount of fuel could be saved if we took this part of cookstove development more seriously.

Ron ]

Paul S. Anderson, PhD
Known to some as: Dr. TLUD Doc Professor
Phone (USA): 309-452-7072 SKYPE: paultlud Email: psanders at ilstu.edu
www.gtz.de/de/dokumente/giz2011-en-micro-gasification.pdf (Best ref.)

Quoting rongretlarson at comcast.net:

> 4. Were you using a convective shield?

> [RWL: Anyone know the PCIA rules on using convective shields?
> Shouldn't their use be strongly encouraged? >

This message was sent using Illinois State University RedbirdMail