[Stoves] ONIL Plancha Stove featured in local newscast here in Salt Lake City

Andrew C. Parker acparker at xmission.com
Tue Oct 25 01:02:32 CDT 2011

It wasn't mentioned by name, but I recognized the design from the
BioEnergy Lists website.

The 2/3 subsidy seems a bit steep, but an improvement over "free".  I am
sure it was well thought out.

The video might lead one to believe that the ONIL Nixtamal stove is an
example of a traditional open pit fire.  Reporters and editors aren't
perfect, apparently, but then, neither am I.

I noticed that there are some shots of someone fanning the fuel feed
opening of both the plancha and the nixtamal.  Are they not using it
correctly, i.e., not cleaning out the ashes or putting in too much wood,
or could it use a variable speed fan, or a low-tech hand bellows?

(The last six photos in the article's slideshow are not Guatemala.  They
are probably shots associated with a story on the ski resort interconnect
that is being built between the canyons East of SLC and the resorts at
Park City, and its potential impact on culinary water purity.  Techies
aren't perfect either, apparently.)

Andrew Parker

<http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=960&sid=17794035&title=lds-church-helps-guatemalans-buy-stoves-reduce-wood-use>