[Stoves] Biochar and tea

Frank Shields frank at compostlab.com
Tue Oct 25 19:10:38 CDT 2011

In my work with compost tea I measure 'shelf life' by keeping it at room
temperature (20 deg. C) and measure the decrease in oxygen (redox
potential). It needs a shelf life long enough to be aerobic when applied.
Some samples received are anaerobic when I receive them (in ice chest) and
others do not go anaerobic for weeks. The tea needs to be aerated long
enough to stabilize the carbon and microbe activity reduced.  Adding biochar
to compost tea would be an interesting experiment to see if it will last
longer. If the readily available soluble organic fraction is taken up by the
activation sites it could increase the shelf life (I think). Great idea for
a science project.

Thanks

Frank Shields

Control Laboratories, Inc.