[Stoves] Gasifier stove and related work at the Asian institute of Technology

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 19:23:08 CDT 2011

Dear Friends

> Other technology packages and published papers of the Sida project can be

> downloaded from  <http://www.retsasia.ait.ac.th> www.retsasia.ait.ac.th.
The biomass/stove group may be

> interested the package on drying, which includes a hybrid drier using
solar

> energy and bioenergy from a gasifier stove, heat output of which could be

> automatically controlled by using a thermostat.

The device in the article was shown (in a slightly earlier version I think)
and it is a downdraft gasifier that can be refuelled and emptied while
running. The gas is led to the 'neck' section which has a perforated tube
allowing in secondary air. This heat reaches first one pot then the second.
Both are basically enclosed completely for efficient heat transfer.

I sampled the gases at the end with a combustion analyser and found the
excess air was quite high. The reason for this was the large number of holes
letting in the air. It is recommended that if you build one of these, make a
provision for controlling the secondary entry to you can tune the EA to
limit it. The limit point is that at which the CO/CO2 ratio starts to exceed
your target figure (anything under 2%, normally).

The power of the unit is high. It radiates a lot of heat and cooks 2 large
pots.