[Stoves] [biochar-production] Re: Stoves Digest, Vol 14, Issue 17

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Sat Oct 29 17:34:20 CDT 2011

Frank,

We use the elemental ash analysis in gasification and combustion to
determine the potential for slagging, fouling or volatilization, refractory
selection, etc. Ash from grasses contains high concentrations of potassium
and sometimes sodium that vaporize at low temperatures and combine with
chlorine or sulfur. The fine submicron droplet is sticky and can cause
fouling. when it condense son metal parts it can start corrosion.

We normally use thermal ash preparation following ASTM D1102 (Test Method
for Ash in Wood) at 600C (1112 F) to reduce alkali loss during sample
preparation.

US Bureau of Mines (now NETL) Laboratory at Albany, Oregon also developed a
microwave dissolution technique for us that I will send to you separately.

Tom