[Stoves] rate of gasification

rongretlarson at comcast.net rongretlarson at comcast.net
Sun Sep 11 11:49:11 CDT 2011

Selmar, and list (cc Paul):

The only (repeat ONLY) way to change from rapid boil to simmer is to reduce the heat application to the bottom of the pot. Paul is doing this with a blower/fan - sometimes felt inappropriate, on this list, for remote areas. But there are obvious advantages to a blower/fan - and many are doing that - given the really low power levels required and the growing availability and lowering cost of photovoltaics. Thermoelectric systems are also on the market to power the blower/fan.

With your stove, you can move the pan higher.

You might be able to change the height of the chimney above the secondary air holes - probably not a good choice.

If the primary air holes are on the bottom of the TLUD, you might be able to push sand or something to reduce air flow.

But you can also change the size of the primary air holes, where-ever they are. One simple way is to insert a plug of suitable shape. You might have a geometry that would allow sliding or rotating something into place over one or more ot the primary air holes.

I've tried to be exhaustive. Anyone think of a power-level-control approach I've missed?

You should be able to reduce the maximum power level by a factor of two or three - enough to get a simmer. Paul, with his quite different burner arrangement, is getting a much larger turn-down factor.

Please keep us informed of the approach you have chosen and your success.

Ron