[Stoves] FW: rate of gasification

Paul Olivier paul.olivier at esrla.com
Sun Sep 11 15:08:22 CDT 2011

Crispin,

I am a big believer in gasifying biomass of a small and uniform grain size.
Rice hulls and coffee husks are great in this regard.
If we have chunks of wood that are somewhat big and are not uniform, then it
would be ideal to chip.
There are small chipping machines available in Asia that are quite
inexpensive.
Small, uniform and dry biomass is desirable - easy to light, gasifies at
high temperatures and so forth.
Forcing air/gas into intimate contact with a uniform bed of biomass/biochar
is also ideal.
Air does not channel, and thermal decomposition into CO and H2 is enhanced.
A fan and speed control unit and the right kind of burner allow for a lot of
flame control.
We should be able to produce a flame of a 10 mm height as well as a flame of
a 100 mm height without risk of the flame going out.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22013094/150%20Burner/IMG_0444.JPG

Thanks.
Paul

--