[Stoves] flames touching pot

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 15:52:04 CDT 2011

Dear Frank

There is a marvellous product available from ThermoWorks. It was not very expensive compared with earlier technologies. We have two of these in Ulaanbaatar.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/ir/irpro.html

It comes in that very nice box on the right.

Because it was quite new I had to have them shipped to my regular supplier E&E Process and take them to UB.

Make sure to get a K-band thermocouple to go with it that is long enough to get into places the supplied one can’t reach. It is not wrong to have a 5 foot long one 8mm in diameter. They are not very expensive.

Note that the emissivity can be set from 0.1 to 1.0 – an amazing range. This is a new generation machine. $225!

++++++++

Dear Crispin,

I’m surprised the paint color on the outside would make much difference.

Lets see if I have this right. As the goal is to keep the heat inside the stove body we want less radiation to the outside off the paint. So more heat on the outside surface the more loss from the inside stove unless the loss is greater than the heat being supplied from the stove (not likely(?)). So its not the thickness of the paint and insulating material of the paint but the color of the surface that makes a big difference(?) as to how fast the heat will radiate to the outside air(?).

And thanks for the info on purchase of an IR thermometer having an emissivity setting as I am about to purchase one. Any suggestions?

Again - lots of great information.

Thanks

Frank