[Stoves] flames touching pot

Frank Shields frank at compostlab.com
Thu Sep 15 18:07:02 CDT 2011

Dear Crispin,

I'm using pipes to char samples for testing.  The furnace the pipes are in
is temperature controlled. I want to check the temperature to make sure the
furnace temp reading is accurate to the temperature of the pipe.

I like the fact the IR detector also has a probe. I am thinking I can 'read'
the outside of the pipe using IR and have a blank pipe with a larger hole in
one end to insert the K-probe to get a reading inside the pipe.

In this case the heat is outside and inside the pipe (in the furnace) so
does emissivity come in to play? There should be no lost of heat at the
surface as I see it. Should I set it at 1 to get the real temperature?

Why is something so simple always become so complicated. : )

I have more questions but will read your email again to see if it answers
it. I am using a 'black' steel pipe that has an e of ~0.23. How would I set
the IR meter to read the temperature of the pipe surface while it is in the
furnace (open door and read quickly)?

Thanks

Frank

 .