[Stoves] [biochar] Re: Report on APBC - first two days

Tom Miles Easystreet tmiles at trmiles.com
Sun Sep 18 21:46:02 CDT 2011

Thanks Ron for the summaries and for the excellent questions you always manage to pose to speakers.

The Kansai Corporation rice husk gasifier is interesting. They feed 150 kg/hr husk at 2000 kcal/kg and get 50 kg/hr char. It is a stirred bed gasifier. Husks gasifying in the bed at about 600C. Air is added above the bed to burn the gases. Stack gas is 15% O2 so they use lots of excess air. About 30% of the heat input is recovered as hot water which is used in the bio oil process and in winter for heating.

I was interested in the labeling of the 10kg bags. They indicate 40% carbon and 50% silica (SiO2). They also list macro elements in MG/kg.

They provide separate instructions for use in gardens, horticultural crops, row cropland tees.

Numbers of units and actual use are still not clear. I heard that Kansai Corp had installed 200 of these and made char from about 10% of their husk production of 100,000 tpy. I hope the presentations will clear up the confusion. But it is not clear when we will see presentations or written summaries. That is why I took a lot of pictures of slides.

Tom

T R Miles Technical Consultants Inc.
tmiles at trmiles.com
Sent from mobile.