[Stoves] [biochar] Re: Report on APBC - first two days

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 22:38:30 CDT 2011

Thanks Tom for those numbers.

They are burning 150 kg/hr and getting 20 kg of carbon in the final result.

Do you have any idea what the moisture content of the feedstock is?

Do you know if the silica has any ‘medicinal’ benefit? There are people putting ground rock dust on fields and forests claiming benefits so I wondered if that was related.

Thanks
Crispin

++++++

The Kansai Corporation rice husk gasifier is interesting. They feed 150 kg/hr husk at 2000 kcal/kg and get 50 kg/hr char. It is a stirred bed gasifier. Husks gasifying in the bed at about 600C. Air is added above the bed to burn the gases. Stack gas is 15% O2 so they use lots of excess air. About 30% of the heat input is recovered as hot water which is used in the bio oil process and in winter for heating.

I was interested in the labeling of the 10kg bags. They indicate 40% carbon and 50% silica (SiO2). They also list macro elements in MG/kg.