[Stoves] [biochar] Re: Report on APBC - first two days

Tom Miles Easystreet tmiles at trmiles.com
Mon Sep 19 07:22:39 CDT 2011

Crispin

Rice husk MC is about 10% similar to the grain. I will get the label translated by my Japanese partners this week.

Kuntan (rice husk char) is so ingrained here that I don't think they attribute magic to it. We notice that Biochar is never used by itself here. It is always used in combination with compost, as a component of compost (there is a term for Biochar compost), or inoculated with microorganisms. Bamboo char is rinsed to remove alkali  before use on tree roots.

Kuntan (rice husk char) has a major urban use in construction. It is laid down under houses to control moisture.

When I researched kuntan a few years ago I noticed that it was an ingredient in almost all formulations for planting crops in South Asia, especially when using effective microorganisms and bio fertilizers.

We don't have good numbers for rice harvest, RH use and conversion to Biochar. In the 1970's a friend who was "Mr Rice Husk" for FAO was always looking for better ways to carbonize husk for South Asia. We looked at several pyrolyzers and Gasifiers with him.

Dr Ogawa was encouraged by Mr Segiura to look at the relationship between charcoal and micro organisms in 1979. He talked with farmers to see how they were using char  Steven Joseph said that the Australian Biochar research started in 1990. The rest of us are just catching up with an age old practice.

Tom
Ise, Japan

T R Miles Technical Consultants Inc.
tmiles at trmiles.com