[Stoves] [biochar-policy] Re: [biochar] Re: Report on APBC - first two days

Lloyd Helferty lhelferty at sympatico.ca
Tue Sep 20 09:37:43 CDT 2011

Cute:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hwXTYt5Dq2UPMU840HQo58rAIPfw?docId=CNG.1e50a168b5552344db3d64a207ea7574.811

   T*he biggest obstacle right now with regards to the Mushroom
project/experiment...* (or "/*Sunflower Project*/" as we are alternately
calling it - growing /sunflowers/ has also been shown to do similar
things ~ thus they are already trying to grow sunflowers in Japan near
the crippled Fukushima Daiichi plant
http://www.houseofjapan.com/local/sunflowers-clean-radioactive-soil)
*... is to get the attention of the Japanese (government etc)*.

  The /*5ive-Planets*/ people in Japan are trying to raise money there,
but the populace in Japan is all "tapped out" when it comes to
supporting the disaster financially. *Money for this project will need
to be raised internationally.*
Some /*fund-raising concerts*/ should be coming (to Toronto) later this
year...

With regard to CANDUs... I think that you would get along well with our
former Board member, Rasmus.

He once set this out as a "joke":

This is the /*original*/:

*P.S.* Rasmus is a doctor (a neurosurgeon, no less)... and is a member
of The /Canadian Association of Physicians for the Environment/ (CAPE).
Unfortunately, he got an earful after he sent it to the CEO of the
/Ontario College of Family Physicians/...  ;-)

*P.P.S.* Co-incidentally, I was just talking to *Dr. Masao Hori* (via
Skype) /this morning/.  Mr. Hori is an engineer with the Nuclear Systems
Association in Tokyo. More than a year ago we were talking about
possibly putting together a paper with the title, "Nuclear Carbonization
and Gasification of Biomass for Removing Atmospheric CO2".
The "concept paper" would have described this:

    - floating /*nuclear pyrolysis units*/ (& calculations)
    - seaweed farms
    - efficient transport of this marine biomass by water (nuclear /
    SkySails transport)
    - charcoal for coastal protection (elevating low-lying areas with a
    coastal "/carbon landfill/"), with opportunities for island nations
    to elevate land
    - marine biomass for soil improvement in (other) nations without
    sufficient biomass on land (example: soil restoration in Haiti,
    which is largely deforested)
    - nuclear *biochar from seaweed**** as a soil amendment for the
    world's coastal deserts (mixed with compost)
    -*opportunities for Japan*: replacement of hydrocarbon imports, job
    creation, exporting the combined technology, etc.
    - combination with upwelling tubes ("Lovelock tubes") for
    inexpensive fertilizer.
    - Nuclear hydrogen and *ammonia*** production for fertilization**.

**Note: Ammonia is not only a potentially very useful "fertilizer" is
might even become an important future "fuel".
I took part in a /very interesting/ conversation at *CHAB Camp* in
Illinois earlier this year when a few members of the board of the
*Biomass Energy Foundation* (like Dr. Tom Reed & others), who had
gathered in Dr. Anderson's basement.  It was all about using Ammonia as
the next major liquid "fuel"...
  For instance, one could make a /*Quasiturbine engine*/ configured in a
Rankine or Brayton cycle (with Ammonia as the working fluid) to produce
power at only a ~20 degree C. temperature gradient.  One could also
build Solar Thermal driven, ammonia-water absorption systems for cold
storage and refrigeration.

****P.P.P.S.*  Seaweed is a substantial source of minerals and makes a
great fertilizer on its own. It can be composted into one of the richest
composts with extremely high mineral content, and could probably also be
a feedstock for ammonia production (for fertilization) [ex. /*SynGest*/].
   see: http://www.ehow.com/how_2284434_quick-easy-seaweed-compost.html

   Lloyd Helferty, Engineering Technologist
   Principal, Biochar Consulting (Canada)
   www.biochar-consulting.ca
   603-48 Suncrest Blvd, Thornhill, ON, Canada
   905-707-8754; 647-886-8754 (cell)
      Skype: lloyd.helferty
   Steering Committee member, Canadian Biochar Initiative
   President, Co-founder&  CBI Liaison, Biochar-Ontario
     Advisory Committee Member, IBI
   http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=1404717
   http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=42237506675
   http://groups.google.com/group/biochar-ontario
   http://www.meetup.com/biocharontario/
   http://grassrootsintelligence.blogspot.com
    www.biochar.ca

Biochar Offsets Group: http://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=2446475
"Necessity may be the mother of invention, but innovators need to address problems before they become absolute necessities..."