[Stoves] [biochar] Re: Report on APBC - first two days

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 11:13:50 CDT 2011

Dear Crispin,
pine needles are a fire hazard even in places where pine has always
grown naturally. The rosin in the pine needles protects it from
decaying organisms. The fact that mushrooms grow under the pine trees
shows that at least the local micorrhiza species have been able to
adapt to the pines. A voluntary agency in the Himalayan region
introduced our charring kiln into their locality so that all the pine
needles could be charred and briquetted and used as domestic fuel. One
could perhaps use the same strategy in S.Africa
The microorganisms in the soil follow the Darwinian principle of
survival of the fittest. A local lateritic soil in the mountainous
area near our city is notoriously deficient in phosphorus. A
microbiology student incubated this soil with sugar and looked at the
bacteria in the soil. He found that they were phosphorus solubilizing
bacteria, because owing to their special ability to extract phosphorus
from a deficient soil, they could multiply at a higher rate than other
species.
Yours
A.D.Karve

--