[Stoves] TLUD notes and Sampada TLUD in India Re: Biomass Stove from Indonesia

Paul S. Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Tue Apr 3 08:28:58 CDT 2012

A.D.,   and all

On the issue of using stick-wood in TLUD stoves, please give us more
information or perhaps a video specific about stick-wood.  How tightly
do you place it?

And please tell us the numbers of units per month or year or total
(whatever data you have will be useful.).

Note about TLUDs:  Once the fire has reached the bottom (at the end of
pyrolysis or if the fire drops down too quickly throught excessively
large gaps), the device is no longer operating in the "TLUD mode" that
has the actively decending pyrolysis front.  It is then a
bottom-burning fire, akin to a bucket fire that is ignited at the
bottom.  The "mode" changes inside of the same stove.  And the
emission levels change, etc.

Therefore, the ability to add additional fuel while the stove is
burning does not automatically mean that it is operating in the TLUD
mode.  What is happening to the newly input wood is that it is being
pyrolyzed by the heat that is coming upward.  That can be a form of
micro-gasification (pyrolysis from heat without oxygen present -- as
in a retort -- without the arrival of the small amount of oxygen as
occurs in the TLUD-specific migrating pyrolysis front).  Therefore, it
is not the same as the physical-chemical processes in the downward
migrating pyrolysis front.

TLUD refers to a process of ""top-lit updraft with migrating pyrolysis
front", and when that front stops moving at the end of the batch
process, the mode or regime of the fire changes.

Eight years ago (2004 LAMNET paper) when I first used the term
"top-lit updraft" I did not sufficiently understand this important
aspect of gasification processes.

Paul S. Anderson, PhD
Known to some as:    Dr TLUD      Doc      Professor
Phone (USA): 309-452-7072   SKYPE: paultlud   Email: psanders at ilstu.edu
www.gtz.de/de/dokumente/giz2011-en-micro-gasification.pdf (excellent ref.)
My website specific for TLUD information: www.drtlud.com  =  www.DrTLUD.com