[Stoves] Platform forc burner development

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 16:08:58 CDT 2012

On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 12:11:11 -0400, Alex English wrote:

>I have built a barrel based platform to mount the burner
>and a variable speed blower to dial up the draft. This allow the
>platform to mimic common chimney conditions or indeed higher pressure
>differences.

I had the problem of how to protect the induced draught fan in a
situation where there was no heat exchange, it was a tow along
under-a-cover-burner for vegetation. Danny built me a simple
centrifugal extractor just like yours and we isolated the shaft from
the fan  by a tubular shaft. The bearings still overheated. The work
is on hold atm but the plan is to extend the paddles of the
centrifugal fan and twist them into an axial fan, pulling cool air
over the motor and blowing it down an outer tube concentric with the
flue pipe.

We need a good depression to prevent smoke from primary combustion
escaping the sides of the sledge, flue gases seem to be visually
clean, lost smoke from primary side equates to a loss of energy as
well as a pollutant.

AJH