[Stoves] Equipment required for testing stoves

Frank Shields frank at compostlab.com
Tue Dec 4 12:19:39 CST 2012

Stovers,

For a lab to test emissions from a stove requires some complex and expensive
lab equipment; Air flow, filters, gas detection, balances etc.

When doing the WBT it seems a problem area is measuring the energy of the
fuel going in and, especially, the energy left over. This is easily done
with the right equipment (CHN analysis, Calorimeter, furnace, balances etc).
so my question is should the test procedure be changed to require stove
testing labs to have this equipment? It is if the simple and quick
separation we now use does not provide the accuracy we need.

Suggest procedure:

Quickly removing the WoodAshCharWater (WACW) and weight.

Put out the fire with water. (wondering if removing the heat by another
method would work (like adding steel ball bearings, coarse steel wool, or
something)).

Pour off the excess water through a screen and oven dry the WACA to
determine the Water that was left in the fuel.

Grind the WACA < 2mm to get a representative sample

Determine energy

Thanks

Frank

Frank Shields