[Stoves] Equipment required for testing stoves

rongretlarson at comcast.net rongretlarson at comcast.net
Tue Dec 4 17:56:36 CST 2012

List and ccs

I haven't seen mentioned today a possible approach that might solve some of the indicated problems for extinguishing a char-making batch stove. This is the same that I mentioned to a smaller group a day or so ago. The idea would be to use a rock dust that one might want anyway for improving the char's soil augmentation properties. Some rock dusts are like biochar - carbon negative (as an oxide, hydroxide, sulfate etc changes with time over to a carbonate).

It would be simple to weigh (maybe just measure the volume of) the rock dust placed on top of the hot char to block air flow. If char is eligible for carbon credits, then the combination should be worth even more (the exact ratio of credits needs work).

A white "quenching" powder might even get additional credits for improving the albedo.

I think we are in agreement that we don't want to use water, nitrogen (costly) or CO2 (costly), but I think dirt (or sand/clay, etc - as suggested by Elisha) is also OK - as long as we weigh the amount used to extinguish. When one needs to measure and characterize the char, then a "vase" technique like Paul Olivier has suggested is probably needed. But smothering a bed of char which something that adds value to the char sounds easier to apply/manipulate than moving the hot char.

I am assisting with a project to collect data on biochar and rock dusts (and even better their use together) in field-performance. I'd love to hear from anyone with such data.

Ron