[Stoves] Equipment required for testing stoves

Alex English english at kingston.net
Fri Dec 7 21:01:00 CST 2012

Hi Ron,
Josh's numbers are similar to what I have seen.
One test is reported here in the year 20000 :)
http://stoves.bioenergylists.org/stovesdoc/English/bigtop2.htm
Here the peak temperature was around 1400F or 760C.

More recently I made an effort to operate a wood pellet filled TLUD at
its slowest/coolest or minimum primary air setting. The peak temperature
achieved in the descending pyrolysis front was 480C. This was measured
well away from the chamber walls. Near or next to the steel wall or
exterior the pellets are cooler and appear brown as torrified,
presumably <300C. Based on a similar but different test run, the
container itself, if painted on the outside, would not  even show paint
damage below the pellet line.

Regards,
Alex

*
    Butsince  the temperatures could be so helpful,  I hope anyone else
who has used thermocouples can also report in on their results -
especially if anything was variable and the (relatively constant)
interior fuel bed temperatures changed appreciably.   I have certainly
seen plots like yours - but nothing to show how temperatures changed -
and as dramatically (600-900 C) as did yours with the same stove
operated differently.  I am guessing that your system could get as low
as 400 or 500 C - with either fewer upper cans or a slower fan speed.
Better understanding this ability to produce chars of different
character should be a hugely valuable experimental result.  I think this
can be done with one thermocouple, not needing 3-4.*